What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is like ascorbic acid and it is vital for human blood vessels, muscles, cartilage and bone collagen. Vitamin c is necessary for our Human body healing process.
It also acts as an anti-oxidants which secures our Cells from free radicals effects- which mainly occurs when we consume insufficient food or our human body is exposed to radiation and tobacco smokes. These increases in free radicals might cause some cardiac disease, cancer and some other harmful diseases. Vitamin C helps the human body for iron absorption and storage.
As the vitamin C doesn’t generate from our human body naturally, we have to get that by consuming some foods like citrus fruits, potatoes, berries, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc,… We can also consume Vitamin C in the form of capsules and chewable tablets which are available.
Vitamin C deficiencies to a person may lead to some cancer and gastrointestinal problems. Also, Vitamin C increases the iron absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. Some other diseases caused by vitamin c deficiency are anemia, scurvy, and bleeding gums. When you consume vitamin c as antioxidants, please be aware that this supplement should not overlap with the results provided by the natural antioxidants present in the foods as we consume.
The suggested daily limit of vitamin c consumption for men is 90 mg and for women is 75 mg.
Benefits and usage of vitamin c :
- Consuming vitamin c supplements orally will not protect from the common cold. Also, some records say people who has taken the c vitamin frequently can suffer from cold, and it lasts for a few days. So, there is no cure for the cold by c vitamins if you consume it after infection.
- The risk of cancer will get lower when you consume diet rich foods and vegetables.
- By consuming vitamin c supplements along with some other vitamins and minerals will protect us from Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) before it get worsening. Some researchers say that people who are consuming high vitamin c levels in their food have lower possibility of developing cataracts.
Vitamin C Safety and side effects:
Most of the people will get sufficient amounts of vitamin c from their proper diet consumption. But if they don’t get enough amount(vitamin c deficiency) then it might lead to some serious diseases like cancer. These people have to consume vitamin c in the form of oral supplements to stay away from these diseases. These oral vitamin c supplements are also beneficial in many aspects.
side effects of vitamin c:
Oral vitamin C supplements are usually safe when we consume it on certain dosage levels. if we consume beyond the dosage level(overdose), then it will cause some side effects, they are
- Heart burning sensation
- Stomach cramps
- improper sleeping
- Skin flushing
- intestinal obstruction (A blockage that keeps food or liquid from passing through your small intestine or large intestine)
- esophagitis (Inflammation that might damage the esophagus)
Continuous oral vitamin c consumption may cause kidney stones for some persons. Also if someone consumes this c vitamins over 2000 mg per day will leads to most harmful side effects.
If you want to undergo any medical tests, tell your doctor about your vitamin c consumption (if you consume) before starting the test. because high vitamin c levels may interfere in certain tests, like in glucose screening tests or occult blood tests.
Vitamin c interactions:
Chemotherapy: While using antioxidants like vitamin C in treating chemotherapy might increase the possibility of lowering the drug dosage.
Protease inhibitors: When we consume vitamin c orally. then it may decrease the antiviral drugs effect.
Aluminum: Vitamin c consumption increases the aluminium absorption from some medications that have aluminium such as phosphate binders. It might lead to the Kidney problem for the people.
Estrogen: Vitamin C oral consumption might increase the estrogen levels during hormone replacement therapy.
Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven): Vitamin c high dosage may reduce your anticoagulant response.
Statins and niacin: Vitamin c consumption along with niacin might aid people with high cholesterol and also it lowers the niacin’s effect.